I went to Taipei this weekend and had a great time. It felt like I was in America with the fancy shops: Tiffany's, Louis Vuitton, etc. It was another rainy weekend but we had a great time. Thanks again Molly for coming with me!
1. Wall made out of plants. How do they water this?

2. Street Performers. This reminds me: my dad promised to buy me an accordian after I learned to play my guitar that was collecting dust. Resolution for 2010: play the guitar



Chiang-Kai Shek Memorial: this place is HUGE with several buildings/memorials for Chiang Kai Shek, a political and military leader of 20th century China. I'm still trying to decide if I like the guy.
This door is TiiiiGHT! Does it remind you of the door on the Wizard of Oz? A miniature person probably pops out of that little opening when you knock..

Building #1

Inside Building #1









Inside Building #1
On the wall behind CKS are three sections: Science, Democracy and Ethics, the 'Three Principals of the People'. My 'Lonely Planet' book states: Many are the voices of Taiwan's government calling for this memorial to be renamed and the statue removed.' Taiwan(which is still the Republic of China) and China have such a sensitive relationship.
Guards for the CKS Memorial Hall
This Hall opened in 1980, five years after Chiang's death.
Video of the changing of the guards:
Structure #2
Building #3 and #4 look identical so I'll post one.
Taipei 101 is/was the tallest building in the world. Dubai has a building that's supposed to be taller, not sure if it's been completed yet.
It looks like a bunch of chinese take-out boxes stacked on each other...or a bamboo stick.

A few random shots around Taipei 101. Gotta post at least one photo with our charming $1 raincoats! The other two shots are of sculptures outside of the 101.
Quick story: Molly (left side of photo) is a good Taiwanese friend of mine. She always teases me that I'm a Taiwanese child and likewise she is an American child (grammar, language, culturally, etc). Well near the end of the day we were sitting on a bench and I said, 'Molly, I'm tired. I don't want to walk anymore.' She quickly replied, 'Make Joseph give you..uh..Monkey-back..?.' Took me a second, then it registered: 'Piggyback?! hahahaha'. Oh Molly, thanks for that and yes, Monkeyback DOES make more sense.


3 comments:
Tabbi!! I am so glad that you are having such a great time in Taiwan!I know it would be ten times better with me there, but you're doing a great job of making due without me. :) I miss you tons!
Brilliant photos!
Their buildings are so unique and beautiful. I just LOVE the photo of that door, too! I laughed about the comparison to the Wizard of Oz one!!!
how fun! i'm so happy you're making the best of your time there. i love the cool architecture of the buildings.
i'm glad the tickets for sumo wresting were sold out. who wants to watch a bunch of bare jiggling bums anyway?:) :)
Post a Comment