Sunday, October 16, 2011

NYC

I flew to Philly last weekend to visit some friends.
With NYC only 2 hrs away, it seemed obvious to sneak away for a few days.

Confession: Roasted Cashews are my weakness.
And you know what, I was skeptical too but the roasted coconut--
REALLY delightful!

My good friend Kami took the sketchy bus from DC to NYC to chill.
Talk about a doll-face!
I don't know what I would've done if she hadn't joined me.
t+k=we're a tad ridiculous!

South Street Seaport Pier.

Warning: From here on, there's a LOT of Tabbi/Kami profile shots.
It's a bit over the top. My apologies.

This pier was so relaxing and the weather was perfect.

This was how we ate our meals for 2 days. In between subway stops.
We're classy like that.
Fact: Did you know you can't eat/drink on the DC metro?
NYC should adopt the same policy but I have no complaints :)

We walked around town, saw the Wall Street rioters and walked by the 9/11 memorial.
A few blocks down, we found this big chain linked fence area covered in tiles to memorialize the 9/11 attack.
I don't know who made them or when but
I was mesmerized, what a beautiful way to remember such a tragic day.
No explanation needed..

Kami suggested we visit Highline Park. I had never heard of this place.
There was an old elevated train rail that was no longer used and the city wanted to tear it down.
However the neighborhood joined forces and saved it by making it a walking park.
It's on the west side of town and runs from like 20th-30th street.
It is SOOOO cool with lots of places to take photos and to stop and sit.
It even has a bunch of the original railroad ties. I'm obsessed, to say the least.




We headed up to Times Square to hang for a few before our show.

I love this beautiful gal so much, have I mentioned that?
Kami and I went to the same high school, to USU and then moved to DC.
Our lives were on the same track until I abandoned ship and moved to Taiwan.
However, I feel like DC solidified a lifelong friendship for us.
She was there for me during some pretty crucial growing pains and there's virtually nothing she could do to make me vanish(maybe to her dismay!)
I love her so very much.



Continuing on, so we went to Memphis.
Which was fantastic, naturally.
But to be honest, the main guy character made me nuts.
He walked around like Quasimodo and slurred his language!
It was distracting.
But the main girl was SO beautiful and wore the most incredible dresses!

And then, we headed to our 'sleeping arrangements' for the night.
Which is a night her and I will never talk about, so don't even ask :)
Desperate times call for desperate measures, that's all you need to know..
...and that it involved a shower curtain from duane reade.

Here's something ironic:
Sunday morning we went for a walk through Central Park.
We decided to walk to Strawberry Fields so I googled it on my phone.
And then I read this off the park's website as we walked:

"Located near Central Park West between 71st and 74th Streets, Strawberry Fields is a 2.5 acre area that pays tribute to the late Beatle, John Lennon, singer, songwriter, musician and peace activist....
.....Strawberry Fields officially reopened on October 9, 1985, the 45th anniversary of John Lennon's birth. Annually, on this date, visitors and fans from all over the globe flock to Strawberry Fields to pay homage to this Beatles' legacy."


I turn and look at Kami. "Wait, what's today?"
Yes indeed it was 10/9. Impeccable planning, I'd say!
And indeed there were LOTS of people flocking to pay homage to John Lennon!


I've been to NYC a dozen times, but never once in the Fall.
I made one glaring error--I thought Central Park would be changing colors.
It wasn't.


However we still enjoyed a perfect afternoon strolling through the park and rowing boats with other tourists.



Check out Kami's biceps!


The Steve Jobs memorial at the Apple store on 5th Avenue.
Post its and apples...simple, thoughtful and perfect.

My new friend Tyson met up with us for Pink berry and escorted us to the Lincoln Center.
I met Tyson at Lake Powell 3 months back. And can I just say wow.
The guy is incredible, he's the man.
He doesn't read my blog..so there's no ulterior motive here.
He's involved with non-profits and travels like it's going out of style.

And I can't resist his Canadian 'sooorrries' and 'aboots'.
It's refreshing to be around guys like Tyson.

Prelude:
I used to hate NYC. It always leaves me feeling dirty, poor, tired and pissed.


Recap:
We saw 2 broadways
Ate our meals on the subway
We walked and walked and walked like pioneer children
There was a shower curtain we're not allowed to mention.
We celebrated John Lennon's birth,
Were bystanders of the Wall Street Rioters,
....and then the finishing touch:
we ran the last 8+ blocks where Kami barely made it on her bus home.
(and then her bus broke down on the side of the road making for a LOOONG night)

And yes, I left feeling dirty, poor, tired, PO'ed...
but also delighted because in all reality, I LOOOOVE NYC!


3 comments:

Noahr said...

So sad we missed you two. Sorry we're bad friends. It's been a crazy month so far. We are on our third set of house guests in two weeks. Next time...next time.

Allison and Noah Riley said...

You GUYS! I thought you had a hotel?! Now I'm nervous for what your accommodations must have been! We're bummed it didn't work out to connect while you were here!

Jen Jarrett said...

It looks so amazing. I wish I had gone with you but I'm glad u got Cami time! Love the adventure update! I find all the little things interesting so I'm glad u post about them (like the Steve job memorial at the apple store).