Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sealed with LOVE

This post started out as an email to my old roommate Nicole, but I wanted a record of this for myself.  Nicole got a kick out of my mom's packages when I lived with her in DC.  Remember the cute Easter Egg activity she mailed us for Easter Sunday?

Last week, I posted about my wonderful mother, allow me to elaborate...

















Last year I flew from DC to Utah with some mending (shame shame as my own sewing machine sat in a closet collecting dust).  She didn't finish hemming my pants while I was there so she mailed them to DC.  For over a month, this package was nowhere to be found.  I was hating on the mailman until I realized that he'd stuffed it under the bushes by our mailbox.  It had rained and poured for weeks prior to finding it but the pants were unharmed because the box was COMPLETELY laminated with tape (and lined with bubble wrap?).

You know the excitement when you receive a package in the mail?  You want to open it as quickly as possible and so you start poking at the tape with a knife or scissors or pen or anything so you can peal the cardboard back...  I have a panic attack opening packages from my mom, the tape never ends- I need to invest in sharper pens!  While I've been in Taiwan, she's stepped up the intensity.  The best: she stuffed bubble wrap inside a box of granola bars so they wouldn't break apart during shipping...but wait, it gets better...

For Christmas, I requested dry laundry detergent to meet carry-on luggage standards while backpacking next month.  I received a few packages in the mail from her yesterday: below is a picture of the detergent...this is EXACTLY what I needed!  She informed me:

"You have to get those small boxes of detergent at the laundromats in the machines.  I opened them and put more soap in them, then rubber cemented them back together so you would have more soap."

I would've been content with a ziplock bag full of detergent from our house.  Her proficiency in mailing packages never ceases to amaze me: she found the perfect sized boxes of soap, opened them, filled them and rubber cemented them all back together.  What a gem, I think I'll keep her!  Thanks again and again Mom!!  xoxo


4 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

hahaha! Your stories are so hilarious because I know how true they are! Mom's packages are always triple sealed! Whenever the boys get one from her in the mail, it is impossible for them to open by themselves! It takes a pocket knife, adult scissors, and prying apart multiple layers!

Sunshine Designed said...

Nobody as perfect as your mother. There should be a saint named Ruth. She being the original. Love your stories. Aspen loved her note you blogged. Thanks for spoiling her. She LOVED the notes. Great idea. Libby has pretty new nails today too.

Emily said...

Moms are so awesome!!!

allegra said...

oh, she's sooo cute!! what a darling story.