Monday, January 24, 2011

History Channel

This is a repeat for my fb friends, but my Dad received an honor this weekend.
The Tremonton Chamber of Commerce awarded him the Andrew N. Rytting Service Award because of his life long service to the Boy Scouts of America! He got involved in scouts as a young boy in England and has been a part of it ever since. He's been scout master over countless scouts in likely every city he's ever lived. He's part of the Trapper Trails (I don't know what that even means) and attends jamborees around the globe. He's a firm believer in the principles taught by this program and has committed much of his life to teaching them to the youth. He was recognized last year among the Boy Scouts of America National Hall of Leadership Inductees.

I just googled his name and found this:
"Perkins, a favorite teacher of geography and history who is known for throwing gummi bears at his students, retired from Bear River Middle School last school year.
He was selected from 7,000 nominees nationwide and is among 325 leaders to be inducted into this prestigious group. The honor was created as a one time award and is part of the Boy Scout 100th year celebration.
The BSA recently announced that each recipient was chosen on the basis of their influential stories and the positive impact that they have had on the local scouts and communities.
Perkins is well known in the community for helping encourage numerous local young men to obtain their Eagle rank. He is also known for his numerous stories and injuries from his years in Vietnam. His name and stories will be archived among the BSA’s 100th Anniversary memorabilia at the National Scouting Museum in Irving, Tex."


My dad's a great example of dedication and valiant service.
He's a good, righteous man with a heart of gold.
Months back, I posted about his debut on the history channel.
It finally hit youtube, so now's your chance to see the story that many of us have heard him tell.

1 comment:

Candice said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! I don't have a DVR and I was wondering how I was going to see your dad on this History channel. I'm Sharing this with my sister Kate!