Thursday, June 21, 2012

DC-Day 2

 First stop Friday morning--Potbelly's Breakfast.
 It can't be beat.  I wish SLC would get one.

And then I met up with Kamster on the Hill.
I think she was creeped out by me taking her photo here.  
Her face-priceless.


 I have a long list of things that I didn't get to do when I lived in DC.
This trip, my goal was to cross off a bunch of them.
So I started at Ford's Theater. Check!

Then I headed to the Hirshorn Museum.




 BTW, the reflecting pool in DC is under construction.
Which was much needed, but limits photo opps.
Hurry up and finish it DC!!
 
 Weather permitting, I LOVE walking all the way down the Mall.
Past the museums, Washington monument, WWII, WWI, Lincoln, Vietnam, Korean....




 I have been waiting since 2007 for them to finish the MLK Memorial.  
It is FAN-tastic and larger than I expected.
Here are some good quotes.

A quote from FDR's walking memorial.  My second favorite memorial.
  

 ....and then you gotta walk past the MLK, FDR and Jefferson. 
Did I miss one?

 

 The Jefferson monument is my personal favorite.
There's something magical about walking all the way around the tidal basin.
On summer nights, there are fire flies.
In the Fall, the leaves change colors.
In the spring, the entire place is covered in Cherry Blossoms.
In the winter...well just drive around them--nothing magical here when it's cold!

It's one of the most peaceful places on earth.  
I sat looking at Jefferson for a long time..reminiscing about the good ol' days.
For me, there's a strength/spirit at this memorial.  
When I lived in DC, I would metro into work and then run home.
(why commute for 45 min. when I could run home in an hour+?)
Often times I would stop at the Jefferson Memorial on my way before crossing the bridge.
I'd stop on the grass.. call a friend, talk to my grandma and/or pray.
These grounds are special to me.
It was an incredibly peaceful day...I was grateful to have it all to myself!

 I met up with Kami and Liz, friends from my home town.

We went to 'Jazz in the Park' and fought the crowd for a place to sit.

 The crowd was ridiculous...
 ...so we headed to dinner.

  These girls are gems.  
 We dubbed ourselves the Tremonton Trifecta. 
I know few people out there that are more kind, loyal, sincere than Kami & Liz.
Tremonton sure does raise 'em right.


PictureStitches from the day---Monuments!

 Tourists--WOOF!!!

Highlight from Friday:
Finding a random Farmer's Market near the Mall.
  

2 comments:

Candice said...

Tabbi, I just LOVE reading your blog! I love your travels, I love how much you do, and I love when you visit Kami! You guys are amazing! And now Liz too! I am so happy to see you guys working so hard and living the DC life! I am so proud of you guys! Tabbi, you inspire me to travel more! And try new food in the SLC! I just think you are wonderful!!

Mindy said...

I loooove DC and I love the Kamster's pink skirt even more! :)